California’s Low Cost Auto Insurance (CLCA) program helps good drivers that are income eligible afford auto insurance that meets the state’s financial responsibility laws. Each policy provides liability coverage for the vehicle’s primary driver and eligible secondary drivers. Each individual car owner may buy separate policies to insure up to two vehicles, per person under this program. All vehicles in your household must be covered under the CLCA program.
To be eligible for the California’s Low Cost Auto Insurance Program, consumers must:
- Have a valid California driver’s license
- Own a vehicle valued at $25,000 or less
- Meet income eligibility guidelines
- Be at least 19 years of age
If you have recently received a driver’s license through AB60, you may be eligible for this program regardless of immigration status.
Effective January 1, 2015, new laws mean more Californians qualify. Click here to see if you're eligible.
It’s Easy to Apply
If you qualify, here are the items you’ll need to enroll.
- A valid driver license
- Current vehicle registration
- The initial deposit for payment
- Proof of income—you just need to provide ONE of the following documents:
PROGRAM DOCUMENT REQUIRED CalFresh (food stamps) EBT card CalWorks Notification letter California LifeLine Bill showing discount from phone company LIHEAP Low Income Home Energy Assistance Bill showing discount from utility company Medi-Cal / Medicaid Program card California Employment Development Department (EDD) Debit card or benefit letter SSI / Social Security Income (age, blind, disabled) Recent bank statement as proof of deposit Social Security or Pension Letter from administration Income Level*
*social security number or TIN accepted
• Copy of federal or state income tax return for last year
• W-2 or 1099 form
• Payroll stub or employer verification letter